Saturday, October 13, 2007

Jill & Julia


"The World isn't about You,
but about you in the World"

--Jane Alexander













Here is another email of introduction from someone who has remained steadfast in her support of our students:


Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 12:11:58 -0000


Hi Diane
I am a friend of Patricia Lucas, we used to be neighbours and went to college together! I was in Oz recently and stayed with them on Soleares and she was telling me about your work with the children. Then she sent me a copy of your fascinating booklet!
One of the friends that I share a house with has visited the Philippines three times and was helping the Monobo people. She went to Cotobato City then up to Isulan and on to Kulaman, 5 hours into the mountains by motorbike! I have just found where you are on our map of the Philippines.
Patricia was saying that you would be pleased to receive things for the children. What sort of things would you appreciate??? If I send a parcel what address should I send it to?
All three of us who live together were teachers!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We live in a little village with a medieval foundation, in fact a medieval bridge is alongside our garden. I can send pictures for the children to see, if you are able to receive them.
Very best wishes, I look forward to hearing from you
Jill Phelps

Since the year 2006, Jill and her friend, Julia (an artist, not a teacher), have regularly posted small packages of art supplies to us, including numerous historical postcards of the site where the three teachers live. Jill has also emailed special internet links sites of interest, and sent beautiful photos of her garden (see above) which many of the students have used as subjects for painting...but personal photos were a little harder to come by, which is partly why this posting--begun in October of 2007--is actually being finished in July, 2008! Those who are reading this now will have already read the post, "Waiting", explaining the reasons for the delay--which I will compose just as soon as I publish this one! (this is dizzyingly like being trapped in a time-warp, weaving unfinished old into the new) but here, finally, is public acknowledgment and heartfelt tribute to these two women who have shared so generously what they have with us.

The following slide show was created from pictures taken of the students working from a series of wonderful art craft books from Jill and Julia. I will add that they are well-thumbed by now!


* very sorry, the slide show has been lost.  Bubble Share closed down in 2009, no doubt sent notices but I was distracted, did not pay attention as to accessing the file before they became unavailable.

No comments: