Thursday, August 16, 2007

"...you ask, 'WHY?' "





"The point is not to do remarkable things, but to do ordinary things with the conviction of immense importance."
--Teilhard de Chardin




In 1996, Bill and I sailed to Austraila to begin a two-year refit of our gaff-ketch PILAR, in the lovely town of Maryborough, Queensland. It was there, in Barry White's vast old shed of what was once the Walker Shipbuilding Yard, that we became friends with Alan and Patricia Lucas. They had just begun building another boat, SOLEARES, which would continue their life- and livelihood afloat. In the sailing world, Alan is a well-known and respected author of numerous Cruising Guides; Patricia, his wife and partner extraordinaire.

It was the year 2000 when we set our anchor
in the Philippine Islands, in Port Bonbonon, Negros Oriental, and casually began what would later become One Candle Schoolhouse.

Our first few months of Saturday School began in the small
guest house we'd rented from NeArNe Restaurant and Boat Works.

It was to've been a space for us to continue boat projects,
but it quickly became a classroom, filled with posters, colored pencils, games and books--all sent to us by Patricia and Alan.

For more than five years now, Patricia has not only been faithfully gathering and donating gifts to the Students of One Candle Schoolhouse, she's become a goodwill Ambassadress spontaneously telling friends and strangers about the children, touching the hearts of new friends for our school.


Awed by Patricia's unwavering commitment, I asked her in one of our exchanges of old-fashioned letters if she could explain to me why she has continued to remain so generously involved. She replied:

"…Maybe, deep down, I see what you are achieving with your kids, involving yourself so completely, as something I would love to do. Mainly, though, in the beginning, it was my love for you and a way of extending and enriching our friendship. Giving is joy, especially giving to those who are so grateful for anything. I remember, years ago, I asked you if soft toys would be useful and you said that they don’t need toys, they have their baby brothers and sisters! That really struck a chord. We are such a materialistic society; the simple pleasures are disappearing. My pleasure is in thinking and choosing what they (and you) would like or need.

One photo you sent me of the group
with those masks and whistles (Sorry Bill!) gave me such a buzz, I am thinking of framing it! That is all the inspiration I require; their pleasure.

We all need to be needed so when you say I am a part of the school, I glow.

I give others gifts, knit socks and jumpers and so on for the family and, quite often, hear nothing—not even a ‘Thank you’; one more present disappearing into the materialistic hole. I am not bitter about this, it is the way life is now, so your appreciation of anything I send is
greatly felt…the warm glow spreads!

I find sending to you and yours an outlet for creativity. I certainly just love thinking of you all and wondering what would be suitable.

I usually get the box for you months before I send it. I see things and say, “Diane’s kids’ might like that!” and into the box it goes! When I ‘hit the button’ on something just right, it is a tremendous pleasure. Like the recorder...

—then Jill sending more—that was great!
Especially as they were useful for the hearing impaired children—an extra bonus for me!

I can see how your school has progressed as the years go
by, the way they have expanded as their knowledge and understanding of what they can actually achieve, their capabilities, has been enriched. I love being part of the school (as you say) and when Leonila emailed for Australian dance info, I was so thrilled! That makes me even more a part of the school..."



"...a part of the school," indeed. One Candle Schoolhouse has been so blessed with loyal supporters that it has become more of an extended family than a charity...and "the warm glow spreads!"

Thank you again and always, Patricia and Alan!










No comments: